Bonus— they’re gluten-free!
Arepas are Venezuelan fried corn cakes stuffed with tasty fillings, like this creamy, zesty chicken and avocado salad.
Ingredients For the Chicken and Avocado Salad 2
ripe avocados 3 tbsp.
mayonnaise 2 tbsp.
fresh lime juice
Kosher salt 2 c.
shredded rotisserie chicken 2
scallions, finely chopped 1/2
jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped 1/4 c.
cilantro, finely chopped For the Venezuelan Arepas 2 c.
precooked cornmeal (masarepa, not masa harina)
Kosher salt 2 tbsp.
Directions Make the Chicken and Avocado Salad
- In a bowl, mash avocado (about 2 cups) with mayonnaise, lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add chicken and gently toss to coat, then fold in scallions, jalapeño and cilantro. Set aside.
Make the Arepas
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal and 2 teaspoons salt. Add 2 1/2 cups warm water and whisk to remove lumps, then stir with spatula to combine. Let rest 5 minutes. Divide dough into 8 balls and flatten each into a 3-inch disk about 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet on medium. In 2 batches, cook 4 arepas, covered, until golden brown on one side, 6 to 8 minutes. Uncover, flip and cook until other side is golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes more.
- Transfer to a wire rack and repeat with remaining oil and arepas. Split and stuff with chicken salad.
By Gabriella Vigoreaux
Source by https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/a35553325/chicken-and-avocado-salad-arepas-recipe/