Cloud eggs — whipped egg whites with a luscious yolk nestled in the middle — have earned their Instagram fame the old-fashioned way: by being pretty and delicious. They also hit the sweet spot of looking super fancy but being shockingly easy to make: The hardest part is separating the eggs. We kept this version super simple, but feel free to fold in fresh herbs or crumbled bacon along with the Parmesan or use different cheeses to mix up the flavors.
- 4 eggs
- 1/16 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives (optional)
Prep: 25 min
Cook time: 1 hour
- Yields: 12 servings
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Separate the eggs putting the whites in a large bowl and the yolks in a small bowl; set yolks aside.
- Whisk the egg whites until they’re foamy. Add the salt. Keep whisking until very firm peaks form. Fold in the cheese.
- Spoon the egg whites in 4 equal mounds on a lightly oiled or parchment-lined baking sheet. Use the back of a spoon to make egg yolk-size wells in the center of each one. Bake until just starting to color, about 5 minutes.
- Gently spoon a yolk into the center well of each “cloud.” Return to the oven and bake until the yolk reaches desired doneness, 3 minutes for runny and up to 8 minutes for fully set.
- Garnish with chives, if using, and serve immediately.
- Per serving: Calories: 97; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 192mg; Sodium: 159mg; Carbohydrate: 1g; Dietary Fiber: 0g; Sugar: 0g; Protein: 9g
- Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 0mg; Iron: 4%; Vitamin A: 6%; Vitamin C: 0%; Calcium: 10%
(Recipe found at http://blog.myfitnesspal.com)